Chilled noodles and chilled wine are the ultimate combo for the Summertime! In this vibrant Asian-inspired recipe, rice noodles are tossed in a spicy creamy coconut sauce, zesty lime, fresh shrimp and topped with roasted peanuts. This sweet and savory dish is the perfect companion to a crisp California Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay.
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated shallot
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 10oz dried rice noodles
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound peeled, cooked & deveined medium shrimp, halved through the centerline
- 1 Persian cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 cups trimmed watercress
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 Fresno or serrano chili, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup crushed, roasted peanuts
Whisk coconut milk, lime juice, fish sauce, shallot, and brown sugar in a small bowl until combined. Gradually add oil, whisking constantly until emulsified; set aside.
Cook noodles in salted boiling water according to package instructions (you want them to be completely cooked since they are served cold). Drain; rinse under cold water, then drain again.
Toss noodles, shrimp, cucumber, watercress, and cilantro in a large bowl with three-quarters of reserved dressing to combine and evenly coat, season with salt. Top with chiles and peanuts and drizzle the remaining dressing over top.
*Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.