Tender lightly fried chicken, fresh slaw and spicy mayo team up to produce a winning sandwich. Pair with California Sauvignon Blanc or Merlot.
- ½ cup (120ml) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) minced jalapeno (chile) pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) brown mustard
- ½ teaspoon (2.50ml) ground cayenne pepper
- 3 cups (195g) thinly sliced napa cabbage
- ¼ cup (20g) grated carrot
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup (60ml) whole milk
- 1/3 cup (42g) all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.50ml) sea salt
- ½ teaspoon (1.25ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large boneless, skinless half chicken breasts (about 1¼lb/562g), pounded to a thickness of ¼ inch (.63cm)
- 8 slices soft rustic sandwich bread
Mix the mayonnaise, lime juice, jalapeno, mustard, and cayenne in a large bowl. Mix in the cabbage and carrots. Set aside.
Mix the egg and milk in a shallow medium bowl.
In another shallow medium bowl, mix the flour, salt and pepper.
Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet until hot but not smoking.
While the oil is heating, coat the chicken pieces with the egg mixture and then coat them on both sides with seasoned flour.
Cook the chicken in the hot skillet for 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and cut each piece in half to make a total of 4 pieces.
Place 1 piece of chicken on a slice of bread.
Top with the some of the cabbage and another slice of bread.
Repeat with the remaining chicken, cabbage, and bread to create 4 sandwiches.