This amped-up version of a grilled cheese uses Munster & Swiss along with bold beefy onions sauteed with rosemary and thyme. It’s the ultimate indulgence for a summer lunch. Enjoy with a Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot.
- 4 crusty panini buns
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese
- 4 slices of Munster cheese
- 1 large white onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 2 tsp pepper
- ½ cup butter
- Cut the buns in half and butter the outsides of each.
- Place the remaining butter into a frying pan on medium heat. Add the onions and herbs. Cook for about 7 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the beef broth and continue to cook until all broth is absorbed by onions. Remove from heat
- Heat panini press or create one by placing a heavy pan on top of the grilled sandwich in a frying pan.
- Place 1 slice of Swiss cheese on the bottom slice then add an equal part of the onion mixture. Add a slice of Munster cheese and the second slice of Swiss. Place the top bun on and press in panini press or fry in pan with heavy pan on top until golden brown and cheese is melted. Remove and cut in half. Server with sweet or dill pickles