Cool down with this refreshing savory-sweet salad. Serve with a light California Rosé or sparkling wine.
- 1/2 large red watermelon, sliced into half moons 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick
- extra virgin olive oil, to brush on watermelon
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups (150 g) mixed salad greens
- 1 cup (140 g) pitted, salt-brined black and/or green olives
- Preheat the grill.
- Brush each side of the watermelon slices with olive oil and sprinkle each side with a pinch of salt.
- Grill each side over high heat for 5 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette: whisk the vinegar, pepper, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the olive oil.
- To serve, remove and discard the watermelon rind. Cut the melon into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Add the salad greens and olives.
- Drizzle with desired amount of vinaigrette and toss lightly.