These Monte Cristo Sliders are just like the classic but with a Canadian twist! Made with soft and savoury buns, Dijon mustard, sauerkraut and Montreal smoked meat. Enjoy these mini sandwiches with a full-bodied California red like Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot.
- 12 Brioche slider buns
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp tarragon
- pinch salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp butter for frying
- 2 lbs shaved Montreal smoked meat
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup grainy Dijon mustard
- 12 to 18 slices of ether sweet sandwich pickles or dill pickles
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 12 long toothpicks
- Whisk the eggs, olive oil, tarragon salt, and pepper in a bowl. Then pour it into a plate that will hold the liquid.
- Heat the butter in a large pan on medium heat. Once the pan is hot, dip the inside of the buns into the egg mixture and then place in the hot pan and cook for about 2 to 3 min or until golden brown.
- Remove buns from the pan and set them aside. Add the Montreal smoked meat and sauerkraut to the pan and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes mixing all together and until meat is a little crispy on the edges. While the meat and sauerkraut are cooking, spread the Dijon mustard onto the bottom of the slider buns.
- Next place the cooked meat and sauerkraut on the bottom buns and top with Gruyere cheese followed by pickle. Place top on and hold together with a toothpick.