The mellow, nutty flavor of avocado contrasts deliciously with the peppery snap of arugula and cool cucumber on this rustic, open-faced sandwich. Serve with dry California Rosé or Sauvignon Blanc.
- 2 cups (50 g) arugula leaves
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (22 g) grated Dry Jack* cheese or other hard aged cheese
- 2 tablespoons (20 g) chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 8 slices French bread, lightly toasted
- 2 large avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into small cubes
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 piece (about 2 ounces/60 g) Dry Jack cheese, for shaving
- Place the arugula, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, cheese, nuts and salt into a food processor and process for ten seconds.
- Using a spatula, scrape down the sides and process again for ten seconds.
- For each serving, place two pieces of toasted bread on a plate. Spread pesto generously on each slice.
- Cover pesto with a layer of cucumber slices and top with avocado cubes.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave desired amount of Dry Jack cheese over the tops.