‹ Back to Recipes
This Mexican-inspired dish is made with melted Munster cheese, hot crumbled chorizo, and topped with green onion. Both savory and spicy, this appetizer is sure to be a party pleaser. Pair with a California Chardonnay or Rosé to help cut through the richness of the cheese.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4.25 cups 2% milk
- 1 can of condensed milk
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Munster cheese for the top
- 1 cup chorizo crumbled
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 baguette sliced or 1 bag of corn chips
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Add half of the onions into the pot and cook for about 3 minutes on medium-high heat. Stir regularly.
- Add the flour and mix. Cook for another 3 minutes or until flour is well blended and slightly cooked.
- Add the milk and evaporated milk, and whisk until all flour is dissolved.
- Reduce heat to medium and add sharp cheddar cheese, 1/2 of the chorizo, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes stirring regularly or until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and pour into a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining chorizo and green onions over the top followed by the shredded Munster cheese and broil at 350F for about 3 to 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and slightly baked.
- Serve with fresh baguette sliced or corn tortillas dipped into the fondito.