No salad says springtime like this one. Pick up a rotisserie chicken from the market and dinner is ready to go in 10 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Vietnamese fish sauce
- 1 small clove garlic, very finely minced or grated
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ pound (250 g) thick asparagus spears (weight after trimming)
- 3 ounces (90 g) baby arugula
- Chunk of ricotta salata cheese
Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, fish sauce, and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Working with one asparagus spear at a time, lay the spear flat on a work surface and shave it lengthwise into thin ribbons with a sharp vegetable peeler. Put the asparagus in a salad bowl with the arugula. With a cheese plane or vegetable peeler, shave about 3 ounces (90 g) of cheese—or as much as you like—into the bowl.
Add enough dressing to coat the salad lightly; you may not need it all. Toss gently, taste for seasoning, and serve immediately.