Sea bass is poached in coconut milk for this extra rich and velvety hearty chowder. Pair with California Chardonnay or Viognier.
1 tablespoon (15g) coconut oil
5 spring onions, light green and white parts only, thinly sliced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 small jalapeño, thinly sliced into rounds
5 medium Yukon Gold or other waxy potatoes (about 1½ pounds/675g), peeled and cut into ½-inch (1.25cm) cubes
1 large red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch (1.25cm) cubes
3 cups (720ml) unsweetened coconut milk, well stirred
½ cup (125ml) water
½ teaspoon (2.5ml) salt
2 medium zucchini (about 8 ounces/225g), peeled and cut into ½-inch (1.25cm) cubes
1½ pounds (680g) sea bass fillets, cut into 2-inch (5cm) pieces
1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
1. Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking
2. Add the onions, garlic, and jalapeño; cook and stir for 1 minute.
3. Add the potatoes; cook and stir for 1 minute.
4. Stir in the red bell pepper, coconut milk, water, and salt. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 5 minutes
5. Add the zucchini and bass. Bring to a simmer and cook for 7 minutes.
6. To serve, divide the chowder among 4 bowls.
7. Squeeze the juice of one lime wedge over each serving.