Ripe tomatoes layered on a crisp golden pastry and topped with fresh basil create the ultimate savoury brunch dish.
- 1 sheet puff pastry approximately 9 ounces (usually sold 2 sheets per 1lb box)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup red cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup orange cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped shredded fresh basil and thyme mix
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted garlic (lightly oil fresh garlic and roast in the oven at 350 till soft and brown in color. About 7 min)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar
- 3/4 cup caramelized onions
Caramelized onions: Take 1 large, sweet onion, peel, and quarter then cut into slices. Caramelize onion slices by cooking on medium-high heat with 2 tbsp melted butter. Cook for about 5 min and then add 2 tbsp sugar and a splash or 1 oz of lemon juice. Cook for 5 more min or until onions are caramelized and lightly browned.
In a large 9-inch round cast iron pan, heat the oil on medium-high heat. Once hot add tomatoes and simmer on medium for about 8 to 10 min or until they are all soft and you can gently press them with a slotted spoon or fork to release the juice inside.
Add the caramelized onions, salt pepper, lemon juice, herbs, and garlic to the same pan. Stir all together.
Spread the shredded cheese over the mixture in the pan.
Take the puff pastry and cut off the excess corners to make it as round as possible to fit the pan. Place it over the ingredients in the pan and tuck the edges around the inside of the pan to make tart edge. Using a fork poke a few places on the puff pastry to let out a bit of steam while cooking and avoid big air bubbles from forming. Be careful not to make large holes.