Due to its proximity to Mexico, California is synonymous with tacos and these are a healthy twist on a classic. These Vegan Black Bean and Corn Tacos offer fresh and vibrant flavours and pair perfectly with a California white varietal.
- 1 package of 12 flour or corn tortillas
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 x 591ml can of black beans (strained and rinsed)
- 1 cup of sweet corn kernels
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup washed, rinsed and chopped cilantro
- 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced green onion
- 1/3 cup diced cucumber
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp cumin (for pumpkin seeds)
- 1 tsp salt (for pumpkin seeds)
- 2 cups chopped arugula (washed, rinsed and dried)
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- In a frying pan heat oil. Once hot, add beans and corn. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Blend half for to create a purée and put aside the rest of the mixture.
- Pico De Gallo: In a small bowl combine cilantro, tomatoes, green onion, lime juice, cucumber, and salt. Mix together until all ingredients are combined.
- On a small baking sheet pour 2 tbsp of vegetable oil, place the seeds in the oil, and mix around. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp cumin and 1 tsp salt. Mix together and then spread them out. Toast in an oven or toasted over at 350 for 8 min or until lightly browned and crispy.
- For best result, heat tortillas slightly in microwave or oven.
- Build tacos and serve. Beans and corn purée on the bottom, bean then corn mixture on top, Pico de Gallo, followed by toasted pumpkin seeds, arugula, and red onions on top.