Little Gem Salad with Red Grapes, Blue Cheese and Walnuts
Little Gem lettuces are a romaine relative, but they are smaller, more tender and sweeter for your salad. If you can’t find Little Gems, hearts of butter lettuce or Bibb lettuce make a good alternative. Add juicy grapes, crunchy walnuts and tangy blue cheese for a meal you’re sure to put on repeat. To switch it up, replace the grapes with pears, figs or Fuyu persimmons. Pair with California rosé or California Riesling.
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, plus more if needed
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ pound (225 g) Little Gem lettuces or hearts of butter lettuce
- ¾ cup (125 g) halved seedless red or black grapes
- ½ cup (60 g) chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 ounces (about ½ cup/60 g) coarsely crumbled blue cheese
- Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and shallot. Whisk in the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Put the lettuces in a salad bowl, tearing them into bite-size pieces or leaving whole if you prefer. Add the grapes, walnuts and blue cheese. Add enough vinaigrette to coat the leaves lightly — you may not need it all — and toss gently. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more vinegar or salt if needed. Serve immediately.