‹ Back to Recipes
Fig Caramelized Red Onion and Bleu Cheese Flatbreads
Flatbread gets the best of summer with sweet figs, caramelized onions and tangy blue cheese.
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges with layers separated
- 3 tablespoons (42 g) butter
- 1 (16 ounce, 454 g) store bought pizza dough, divided and at room temperature
- all purpose flour, as needed
- 8 figs, stems removed and sliced
- 4 ounces (114 g) blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons (9 g) crushed red pepper flakes, divided
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- yellow cornmeal, as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
Serves 4 to 6
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (232 degrees C). The pizza stone should also be preheating in the oven at this time.
- Place butter in a small sauté pan and bring up to medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted add the red onion and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the red onion for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pieces have caramelized and are slightly sweet in flavor. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Sprinkle a clean surface with flour and roll out half of the dough; adding more flour, if needed, to avoid any sticking.
- Roll the dough out until it is about 1/2 inch (13 mm) thick and gently pierce the entire surface with a fork.
- Sprinkle cornmeal onto the surface of a pizza peel (if you don’t have a pizza peel, the backside of a baking sheet works just fine)
- Move the rolled dough onto the prepared pizza peel and press gently to form a cornmeal crust on the bottom of the dough.
- Brush the surface of the dough with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Begin adding half of the sliced figs and caramelized onions to the pizza dough finish with a sprinkle of half the bleu cheese and 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
- Slide the pizza into the oven, onto the pizza stone, and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the crust has turned golden brown.
- Repeat steps 5-11 with the remaining dough and toppings.
- Cut the flatbreads into pieces and serve.