Looking for a quick crowd pleaser for holiday gatherings? These Pepper Jack Puff Pastry Bites are quick, easy and delicious, giving you plenty of time to spend with guests instead of working in the kitchen. These bites take just minutes to prep and bake. They are crispy, buttery, a little spicy and pair perfectly with a peppery California Zinfandel.
- 1 14-oz (396.9g) package frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 6 oz (169.5g) pepper jack cheese, cut into 30 uniform pieces, each about ¼ inch thick
- 1 Fresno chili, sliced into thin rings
- 1 serrano chili, sliced into thin rings
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoon (3.4g) fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Optional: 3 tablespoons (45g) sambal or savory chili jam to serve
Cook time: 20 minutes
Makes 30 pieces
Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Remove the puff pastry from the freezer and gently roll out on a lightly floured surface. Score and cut into 30 pieces, each about 2-inches long, then arrange half on the baking sheet. Store the other half in the fridge until ready to bake.
Dock each piece of puff pastry 3-4 times along the length, then cover with another sheet tray–this will keep them from rising too much. Par-bake these for 10 minutes.
Remove the puff pastry from the oven, uncover and wash each piece with the beaten egg yolk, then top with a slice of pepper jack cheese and one slice of each of the peppers. Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
Return the bites to the oven and continue baking uncovered until the pastry is golden and crispy and the cheese has melted, another 6-8 minutes. Once done, repeat with the remaining pastry from the fridge.
Garnish with the chopped rosemary and a small dish of the sambal and serve.