The spicy flare of watercress and piquant flavors of Manchego give the mildness of fresh trout a delicious lift. Pair with California Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Gris.
- 2 (1-pound/450 g each) whole rainbow trout, cleaned, with scales, head and tail removed*
- salt and ground black pepper, for sprinkling the trout
- 1/3 cup (20 g) roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced into six rounds
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons (75 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) spicy style mustard
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) honey
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 4 cups (100 g) watercress, with one inch (2.5 cm) of stem left on
- 2/3 cup (55 g) sliced almonds, toasted
- sliced almonds, toasted and salted
- 1 piece (about 2 1/2 ounces/75 g) Manchego cheese
* Your local fish purveyor will gladly clean, scale and remove the head and tail of any fish at your request.
- Sprinkle the trout generously with salt and pepper, inside and out.
- Sprinkle half the parsley into the cavity of one trout and half into the other.
- Place three lemon slices in the cavity of each trout.
- Heat the butter and two tablespoons (30 ml) of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When the butter starts to sizzle, place the fish in the pan.
- Cook trout for 6 minutes on each side. Cover the skillet and remove from heat.
- To make the lime dressing, whisk the lime juice, vinegar, mustard, honey and the salt in a small bowl.
- Gradually whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil.
- In a large bowl, toss the watercress with four tablespoons (60 ml) of the lime dressing.
- To serve, divide the watercress among four plates.
- Remove the trout from the skillet and place them on a cutting board.
- Use the side of a fork to scrape the skin from one trout. Use a spatula to lift the filet and place it on a serving of watercress.
- Remove the bone and transfer the second filet to a serving of watercress. Repeat with the second trout.
- Add the remaining dressing to the skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Drizzle each serving with warm dressing.
- Garnish with almonds and shave desired amount of cheese on top using a vegetable peeler.